Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gay Students

I had several students inform me that two students at my school are gay.

It is none of their business--nor mine--but I had kind of figured that one out on my own. But what brought it into the consciousnesses of the other students is the fact they are now "going out." I think it is kind of funny, in a good way, of course, since everyone at my school is very much conservative when it comes to that subject. They are brave souls for being able to express their feelings openly. It is a feat I have yet to truly master.

Being the ever-watchful teacher, I have decided to make it my mission to make sure they don't get harassed as much as I possibly can. I have already put several people in their places over the situation. It is surprising to note that many students are supportive of their relationship. (I wish I had known that way back when.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That does sound like a large step forward for homosexuals. I am straight, but when I was going through high school I was embarrassed about little things such as playing video games. Yes, video games were considered dorky and now they are the every day norm. Either way, I think if we want to say that we're a free nation then "gay" people shouldn't have to be scared of expressing their interest in each other in public. Sadly we are not to that point in society yet with a lot of issues like interracial marriages, same sex marriages, different religious affiliations, atheism, or different cultural backgrounds.

King Donald's Stooge said...

In a democratic society, people are free to live as they wish, as long as it does not interfere with the welfare of those around them, or the nation as a whole.

Whom I, you, or anyone else sleep with each night is hardly a danger to our neighbors or the security of the state.

It's much like the debates that revolved around gender and racial equality, in our nation's past. Full equality for homosexuals, through baby-steps, will eventually be realized in America.