Nawaz Sharif, who was the former prime minister of Pakistan, has returned. He denied any claims that he has struck a deal with President Pervez Musharaff regarding his return, which comes approximately three years before his imposed ten year exile was scheduled to end.
His Saudi-government plane arrived in Lahore and was greeted by security guards and a mass of well-wishers. Sharif's goal is to participate in the upcoming parliamentary elections, which had been scheduled to take place in the next month or so.
Like Bhutto and Sharif, I hope to return from my self-imposed exile from Pakistan and stand for elections and become Pakistan's next prime minister. Of course, I am not from Pakistan, I have never been there, but after watching all the news coverage, it would make little difference. I could probably make the claim and show up at the airport and be greeted by masses of people who want to see me be prime minister yet again!
I love this country.
Media Release:
"After many years of self-imposed exile in the United States, former prime minister, Jackson Leslie, has decided to return to his beloved Pakistan, in spite of fears spurred on by the current government of Pakistan relating to his personal safety. Leslie describes his homecoming as 'bittersweet' and hopes that it will work to decrease tensions in the region. In time for the parliamentary elections, which have currently been suspended by President Pervez Musharraf, he hopes to stand for election and regain the prime ministerial position. Although, the exact time-table for Mr. Leslie's return is not certain, it is expected to occur in the next seven days, at the Lahore airport, and fall on the heels of the homecomings of Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif."
No comments:
Post a Comment