While at school today, I saw two teachers--since retired--who I had when I was in middle school and high school.
I was walking out of the bathroom and turned to walk up the office hallway, which goes by the teachers' lounge. I glanced into the lounge, through a rather large window, to see if there was someone in there I could make faces at, and I saw them sitting in there talking to each (thank goodness, they didn't see me). Sufficed to say, I didn't want to make faces at them!
Subsequently, I did what any former student should do, I ran away!
My sixth grade math teacher was in there. I have to say she was a very scary woman; especially, for an eleven year old boy. The not-so funny thing is she looks exactly the same today as she did when I had her in the classroom about sixteen years ago. (That gray hairdo is unchanged.) I knew who she was instantly. I felt as if I had been thrown back into a time warp. I experienced the same fear today as I did back in 1991.
The other teacher was my twelfth grade English teacher. He wore a suit and tie everyday--you didn't mess with him. He was a good teacher, but sadly I had him in his last year of teaching. Like most teachers in his position, he just basically vegetated his last year by using up his sick days. The days he did show up, he let us do whatever basically. Occasionally, he did teach a unit, like British literature. He was really good at it, too.
Breathless from my near panic attack, I told the school secretary I was afraid, because I thought I was in trouble, after seeing my former teachers. She didn't quite get the gist of what I was going on about, but when I explained it, she just laughed. Being the consummate cut-up, she informed me that she would tell them that I was "looking for them."
So, the rest of the day, I spent watching my classroom door in fear that they would enter. I honestly think I would have freaked, if they had.
I found out they are volunteering with the language arts department as writing mentors. I suppose I'll have to face them sooner-or-later!
8 comments:
I doubt that you had anything to worry about from your former teachers. I'm sure that you were every teacher's dream student! ;-)
I'm sure that they would be happy to see that you have become a teacher yourself! :-)
They might have been nice since I am all grown up now. It's just that I never know what to say in a situation like that.
They probably wouldn't even has remembered me anyhow! But I sure remember them.
You'd be surprised. They probably remember having you as a student at some point. Although names have largely escaped me, I can still remember many of the children that I have taught tennis to. I just need something to jog my memory a little bit.
I hope you're having a relaxing evening tonight. As for me, I'll be studying for my mid-term exam in International Trade and Investment Relations tomorrow evening. Wish me luck! :-)
Honestly, I am terrible with names. I can barely remember the kids' names I have currently in class.
I have former students who come up to me at school (who are now in high school, etc.), or I see them in public. I can usually remember their faces, but not their names. Of course, I always pretend that I remember. I have been caught a few times when I do that. The worst thing is calling a former student by a wrong name. I think it is better to say, "I remember your face, but I can't recall your name, so help me out."
I tell my current students that when they see me in the future don't be surprised if I can't recall their name. I tell them it doesn't mean I don't care about them, just that I have a terrible memory and I have had so many students in the past. There are those students, however, that I will never forget their names! (They are usually the ones I have to discipline ten times per hour...and they are the subjects of my nightmares! Ha! Ha!)
P.S. Good luck on your mid-term tomorrow! Those can be killers sometimes, but I believe you will pass it with room to spare!
I'm rooting for you. :o)
You must have been embarrassed when you were caught in a lie! I suppose it's always better to simply admit that you don't remember a former student's name. :-P
It's funny how we always remember the names of students who were troublemakers. Even to this day, I still remember the name of one boy who caused the other campers much grief. (I worked as a camp counselor during the summer between high school and college.) I must have yelled at him several times every day! :-P
Awww, you're sweet to root for me as I prepare for this mid-term tomorrow! I'll be sure to let you know how I did. Have a good day at school tomorrow! :-)
You have been tagged! :-)
I hope you were able to complete all of your work! :-)
Have a good day at school tomorrow! :-)
Post a Comment