The other night, my school hosted an open house for students and parents. I haven't really had much time to reflect on the experience.
I found myself thinking about it today, however. Even though, it required me to stay after school, until almost 8pm, I found the experience to be rewarding. I met a lot of nice people as a result. The parents were particularly supportive of my efforts in the classroom. It was also nice to hear the many encouraging stories they relayed to me about their kids and how much they enjoy being in my class.
It was funny to observe how the kids by-passed the other teachers to introduce their parents (grandparents, aunts, and uncles, too) to me. It makes my heart warm just to think about it now. Teachers often do not know how much of an impact they have in their classroom, but such events often let us glimpse into that elusive world.
Not to sound conceited, but such events often make the other teachers a bit envious of me. I have encountered problems in the past because some of my colleagues have "complained" about my classroom antics. I think it was the cause of me losing my first teaching assignment. I was much too progressive for the old coots who worked along side of me. Many of them hadn't been in a classroom (beyond their own) since Reagan was in the White House. I guess if a child is enjoying himself or herself then they aren't learning. Right? In their book, it is wrong to have fun in the classroom, I suppose. Luckily, I now work in a rather progressive school, which allows me to run my classroom the way I want.
I still remember the administrator at my first school proclaiming, to me of course, "I don't care if the kids like me as long as they respect me." My philosophy is, "Why not be liked and respected all at the same time?" It is possible. I live it everyday.
2 comments:
I never doubted you at all in being a great teacher! :-)
Teachers have an amazing opportunity to positively impact children and young adults. However, some fail to grasp that opportunity, failing to leave a mark at all. I've had teachers like that, and those are the ones who I learned very little from.
In all honesty, what's wrong with making learning fun? If the children see that you can relate to them, then I think they'll respect you more. Too many adults underestimate a child's ability to perceive the world around them. Children can read you better than you think.
During high school, I worked as a tennis instructor for children ages 6 to 12. I taught at a local park near my parents' home. I observed that the instructors at other parks didn't care about their children. Instead, the instructors made the children do pointless activities, while they sat around gossiping.
That upset me because these children wanted to learn how to play tennis. Furthemore, their parents were paying good money for lessons.
At my court, I was very proactive with my children. I learned their names right away, talked to them about things that interested them, and always made sure that they learned the basics of tennis. When they saw that I took a genuine interest in them, they really took to me.
Sure, being out in the hot sun for hours sucked and the pay wasn't great, but the greatest reward wasn't anything tangible.
At the end of the course, the kids gave me a big hug and asked if I was coming back next summer. Their parents commended me on a good job and told me how much their children enjoyed having me. That meant much more to me than a paycheck.
Teaching is a passion for you, and it certainly shows; your children adore you and respect you. You're making such a positive impact on so many young minds, and I couldn't be more proud of you because of that. The first school that you worked at doesn't know what it's missing! :-)
Yes, I agree with you completely on this issue. Taking the time to know your students is the key to get them to be the best they can be. It is harder to disappoint someone when you feel a special kinship with them. Most teachers, though, do not understand this simple concept; however, they will complain if someone treats them in an impersonal manner. I see it almost everyday.
We should be colleagues!
Post a Comment