Teenage girls, moms and dads are lining up to score tickets to see Disney's newest creation, Hannah Montana.
Miley Cyrus, the daughter of has-been country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, has gotten herself quite a fan base. After going on tour, she has sold out of all of her appearances within a matter of minutes.
What kind of psychological drain this has on a teenage individual? Today, we have former sensation Britney Spears, who also got her start with Disney, fighting off the paparazzi, fighting for custody of her kids in court, hit-and-run, and substance abuse charges. I think that is more than enough to do a person for a lifetime.
The public creates a Frankenstein from time-to-time. This is apparent in someone like Britney Spears. She was seemingly stitched together from the best of popular culture, and then left to lament when the public abandoned its creation. (Even though, she is just as popular, but in a different sub-set of culture, which feeds on the leftovers.)
I find it difficult to get excited by pop culture icons. I always look at them as plastic, gold-digging and highly misinformed (and not just by their agent either).
The only superstar I went gaga for was Elton John. In fact, I met him at a benefit in Atlanta numerous years ago. What did I get to commemorate the occasion? I got him to autograph a picture for me! It is one of my most prized possessions.
(Okay, so I can be swayed by popular culture. But not very often.)
No comments:
Post a Comment