Thursday, October 18, 2007

The most innocent things

In class today, we were talking about the United States.

Of course, this seems like a rather blasse topic. Many students are hammered with facts and figures relating to their home country. I am no exception, when it comes to my class.

Out of the sheer fear of students not knowing their geography, I have assigned them to learn the fifty states (and identify them, roughly, on a U.S. map). I think it's pretty typical.

Middle school students find scandal in almost anything. Again, I thought U.S. geography would be safe. I was reading through a list of the states. Apparently, Idaho is a state that has more problems than Senator Larry Craig.

When I said "Idaho" I got a lot of strange looks and muffled laughter. At first, I didn't get it. Having learned from past mistakes, I knew it was unsafe to ask them "what's so funny about Idaho?" Unlike other students, middle schoolers will tell you in a rather blunt manner everything they know.

It took me at least three classes to figure out what was so comical about this otherwise quiet western state, "I-da-ho!"

Seemingly, I was sending an indirect message to my students that I am rather loose when it comes to sex. After I figured this out, I had to work very hard for the rest of the day not to grin when I said it. I was being nonchalant; otherwise, I would have invited more blatant chuckling.

Again, my understanding of their little, perverse minds has been reinforced. I can always count on the fact that a day at middle school will never be boring!

2 comments:

Aryaduta said...

When I was that age, anything that was remotely sexual got me to laugh. Talk about being immature. Then again, I really haven't changed much since then! :-P

King Donald's Stooge said...

I admit that I laugh at things most adults say are immature. I guess that is why I fit in so well with 11-13 year olds!