Recently, a lot has been made over the choice of Senator Barack Obama to show is patriotism through his words and actions, rather than simply wearing a flag on his lapel, like many other politicians, including George W. Bush, have done since 9/11.
Whether or not you wear a flag on your lapel (and subsequently I never did), it shouldn't act as a measure of how much of an American you are. There are so many ways to show your patriotism. It can be as simple as helping your neighbor through a difficult time, or not violating the Constitution of the United States, through multiple acts of treason (I'm not mentioning any names).
Each morning, at the school where I teach, they start the day with the pledge of allegiance. I stand out of respect, but I never say the words. I do not think that makes me less of an American, however. I give my students the same choice. I believe it is their right, as Americans, to choose whether or not they will recite a credo to the State.
In my understanding of the mind-set of the Founders, I find it hard to believe they would endorse--much less require--citizens to engage in futile patriotic actions. This includes the false belief that wearing an American flag on my collar or lapel makes me a better American than those around me.
This post, in my estimation, is an exercise of my rights and liberties as an American, which makes me a patriot.
5 comments:
Every morning in elementary, middle, and high school, I always recited the pledge of allegiance. Yes, I am proud of being an American, but I chose to recite it everyday to prove to others that I was just as American as they were.
Coming to the United States from Southeast Asia is no easy thing, especially when you move to a small town in Pennsylvania. I was the "foreigner," and I was desperate to fit in with my peers. If that meant being a red-blooded American, then so be it.
Now that I'm here in Washington, that need to prove myself as an American isn't as strong anymore. It's still there, but it's certainly more subdued.
As for the politicans, well, the "rally around the flag" effect is largely the result of 9/11. As the Bush Administration so brilliantly put it, "You're either with us or against us."
I think that many Americans feel the same way that you do, but they're afraid of what others might think if they don't wear their patriotism on their sleeve. As much as American culture embodies emphasizes individuality, we're really nothing but a society of sheep.
I hope that you had a good day at school today, and that you're not too bogged down with work tonight. :-)
I have my mid-term exam in Mathematical Economics tomorrow, so my evening will be spent with my nose in the books. The madness is almost over! :-P
I agree that the majority of people simply maintain the status quo, when it comes to the direction of government, especially in terms of foreign affairs.
In our country's past, we have always celebrated those people who challenged the status quo. The Founders were traitors in the eyes of the British King and Parliament; however, they were icons of patriotism to their contemporaries.
Although, I am not comparing myself to that group, I do live by some wise words I once saw on a bumper sticker: "Dissent is patriotism in action!"
I'm always bogged down with work during the week. I usually have a 101 things to do. It is hard to find the time to do it all.
Good luck on your midterm! Be careful not to slam your nose in your book. :oP
Not the only ones with a pledge. We have something like that too.. called the Rukunegara .. and it's placed in every text book / exercise book.
Savante, I read that the Rukunegara is usually a compulsory element of students' lives. After reading it, it does sound very much like the pledge of allegiance, which we have in the United States. The text I found stated:
"BELIEVE IN GOD/
"LOYALTY TO KING AND COUNTRY/
"UPHOLDING THE CONSTITUTION/
"RULE OF LAW/
"GOOD BEHAVIOR AND MORALITY"
These elements sound rather subjective to me.
Mostly, it is curious that a state, that is founded on rights of freedom and self-determination, such as the United States, finds it necessary to require its students to recite a credo outlining their loyalty and fidelity. Even though, the pledge pledges allegiance to God, it reminds the student that his/her first loyalty is to the state, which sounds like a dangerously communist ideology.
Post a Comment