Obama says Clinton is playing the race card, Clinton says Obama is playing the race card, and the media is pretty sure it is just the Clintons who are playing the race card, because they are in love with Barack Obama.
The media says the word "race" every two seconds. Last evening, I was watching the returns from the South Carolina Democratic Primary, on CNN, and they automatically put the state in Obama's pile, without even seeing one return from a poll. Then, they immediately turned to a political correspondent to see how race played a role in the exit polls. They kept saying the word over and over. They said "black," "white," and "bi-racial." Then they said it was a hard fought battle for Obama where race should never have played a part. I turned it off!
Duh! How can you ever delete race from the race if you keep saying it and analyzing it? In the end, it is what people want to see on their televisions or they wouldn't put it on there.
The Clinton and Obama campaigns must put the divisiveness of South Carolina behind them. I think race will play a less polarizing role in the "Super Tuesday" (February 5) states.
I cannot conclude without pointing out the double-standard the media has allowed to slowly creep into this race, which is gender--but in a negative, roundabout way.
I have heard this time and time again. The media eludes to one simple fact: Hillary Clinton is a stereotypical woman, who is barefoot, in the kitchen, knocked-up, and waiting on her man to take care of everything. I am not a woman, but I find that affront to everything civil. Of course, they are referring to Bill Clinton. The media has painted him as an overbearing monster (almost an abusive husband). He is bent on standing up for his wife, and protecting her from the world, while she stands complacently behind him.
The defense of a spouse on the campaign trail is normal behavior, even for the wives of candidates, but when President Clinton does it for his wife, they assume, Hillary is making herself less of a strong, independent woman. Barack Obama did everything but carry a noose onto the stage of the Democratic Debate in South Carolina, last Monday, but the media and pundits praised him and defended his bemoaning "race, race, race!"
Let's see how race plays out in the rest of the country. (Jesse Jackson won South Carolina in 1984, but I'm not injecting race into this campaign. No way, no how!)
No comments:
Post a Comment