Sunday, January 20, 2008

Communist-style suffrage

Cubans are going to the polls today in the first election since Fidel Castro disappeared from the national stage over a year-and-half ago for "intestinal" surgery.

The votes will go to fill the 614 seats of the National Assembly. Although, they expect about 90% voter turnout, each of the seats are not contested, including Fidel Castro's parliamentary seat, which means if they are breathing at the end of the election they are elected, including Fidel. The National Assembly will meet in future days to select a new president and Council of State. Some have speculated that the National Assembly will not re-elect Fidel Castro to the presidency, but instead his brother, Raul, who has been filling the presidential post since his convalescence, is seen as his successor. Fidel has previously said he will not cling to power, which might be foreshadowing to the Cuban people of a change in the top post, upon his official retirement to private life.

On a side-note, I often employ communist-style voting in my classroom. My students are always saying, "Majority rules! We want to vote." So, I say, "Sure, let's vote Soviet-style." That statement is always followed by moans, because they know what it means.

I present them with their choice, which is always my option. Then, they vote, but always reluctantly. Some say, "There's only one choice. That's not fair." I reply, "You wanted to vote and here is your choice, now vote!" Sometimes I have to employ some unscrupulous, strong-arm tactics to secure a win, but I always get 100% voter participation and support for my position, in the end.

Then, someone will always, as if on cue, whine, "Why do I have to do this?" My favorite line is: "You and the entire class voted to do it, that's why!"

I'm also fond of saying, "I'm Brezhnev and you're Czechoslovakia. Think twice before you cross me." I've only had a few students who have looked-up that veiled historical reference, however.

No comments: