Why do I care if someone named Lindsay Lohan was arrested for drugs, etc.? I am not sure who this person even is. With the whole Paris Hilton debacle, I think we are all ready to move on beyond the rap sheets of celebrities.
As I said, did this Lindsay person star in a movie, sing, change the world? I am not even sure. Does her family own a chain of international hotels? I don't think so, at least.
What do arrests mean for the famous? It is cheap publicity--plain and simple. It doesn't cost much, beyond your self-respect and freedom (but only for a short time). But in the long run, we don't hold so-and-so accountable because he or she was in jail for five days for cocaine abuse, DUI, or generally turning up in the gutter. It makes the majority of people crave more.
"Oh my God! Can you believe what she did the other night?"
Sure, I thought the whole Paris Hilton incident was precious. Who didn't, honestly? We all had a our laugh when the debutante was carted off to jail to pay her debt to society for a whole litany of infractions.
But, finally, enough is more than enough. Why do I care if they are drug addicts or alcoholics? It may be sad. But it is equally sad for the thousands of other people who deal with these issues everyday and never see their name on CNN.
Only the media seems to care now.
No comments:
Post a Comment