Monday, July 02, 2007

Parents

When it comes to technology, my parents are kind of in the Mesolithic Era of development.

You see, about three months ago, I bought my parents a really nice coffee maker. They had one of those percolator types that you see being used in those 1960s sitcoms. It was a silver, freestanding decanter. You had to take the top off, pour the water in, fill the basket up with coffee, put a cover on that, then try to work this little stick like device into a tiny hole at the bottom of the pot, replace the top, then plug it up and patiently wait ten minutes.

Being the dutiful son, I thought, "I'll get them a really nice coffee maker, just because..."

I go to Williams-Sonoma, where I could live, and I find them a really fine machine. I end up paying $300 for it. I was all excited when I finally took it home to mom. She worked for a while setting it up and making a cup of coffee. It was really, really good too. I was so excited. And the best part of all is the machine almost makes the coffee by itself, unlike the percolator. People, it even matches the kitchen's decor! (How good am I?)

What have I learned from this experience? Hmmmm...well, it would seem they only use the new coffee maker when I come over. They still use the antiquated, dilapidated percolator for their everyday needs.

So, next to their brand new, three-hundred-dollar, state-of-the-art, German-engineered coffee maker, stands a piece of history, which gets way more action.

I just don't get it!

No comments: