Monday, December 03, 2007

Obama beating Clinton?

In a shocking turn of events, Barack Obama seems to be giving Hillary Clinton a run for her money in Iowa.

Will it last until Iowa's caucus, which is only thirty-one days from today?

I am not sure that it can last that long, however. I see his numbers trending downward again.

I'm not convinced that one state--or even two--should determine the course of the national election. Perhaps, there should be a federal law that requires all states in the United States to hold their primaries and caucuses on the same day. In that way, other states/voters do not feel disenfranchised.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I very much dislike "campaigning" because it is just someone telling you what you want to hear and empty promises that are mostly going to be shot down by a divided congress anyway. I think we should just have a website or something where each candidate or nominee states their position on certain issues, and everyone can go there and see whats going on. I realize this is naive and unproductive, but when I hear people like John Edwards saying that when he goes to Iowa he's "gonna talk like this", and when he goes to Texas he's "Goinna talk like this" changing his accent it makes me want to slap people in the face and call them a farce. People who are concerned with politics already know to go out there and dig up information for themselves, but a lot of people place votes based on looks, what they hear from friends, or random pick. This comment makes no sense other than I think spending billions on campaign trails is pointless when that money could be spent to send malaria treatments to Africa, or support to people in need.

Riddle

King Donald's Stooge said...

A campaign is like a beauty contest, but for real. Of course, politicians are sly creatures who know how to play the feelings of the sheep, excuse me, people in order to support their position.

Personally, I take great interest in political campaigns. Elections are a very exciting time of the year (or years, if it's for president). I agree that the election cycle starts much too early in modern times. Perhaps, Congress should look at setting timelines for running national elections. In France, presidential candidates are limited to campaigning on a national scale within a two week time period before the election date. In the end, what you know of the candidates falls into a mere two weeks. Would that work in the United States? It is hard to say, but it could, however. I think the size of the country would have a hand in deciding how long candidates would receive to run their campaigns. I think six months would be more than enough time. Also, I believe setting a national date for all state primaries and caucuses would help in undermining the inflated importance of certain key states, such as Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada, in electing a president for the entire nation.

Anonymous said...

Yes, you made some good points. In the US thought a political figure could technically campaign all the wanted their whole life if that is what they wanted to do. They would have to find a way to make enough money to support that though. We have been limiting the amount of contributions toward candidates, but I still don't think that our current form of campaign allowances allows for a fair depiction of each candidate. Basically the one with the most coverage, the most money, and the most hype will get a lot of votes just because of the name recognition. I think we should have an equal amount of alloted money available, an equal amount of air time on television stations, and an equal distribution of questioning so that the same questions are being asked to the same people.
In addition, whats the deal with religion becoming a hot topic in the presidential campaigning. I guess we forgot that we have a freedom of religion and that it shouldn't cause biases and discomforts to people who believe in different religions than our political leader. I heard that Evangelical Christians are worried that the Mormons will gain a foot up on them in missionary work... what is this salesmen worried about intruders on their segment of the land. I spit at the people who act this way.

Ugh,

Riddle