Monday, July 26, 2004

Shove it!

I have found myself laughing quite a bit at all the hoop-la surrounding Teresa Heinz's invitation to a Pittsburgh reporter to "shove it!"

It was very refreshing to see the confrontation as put out on many media outlets. She is a very outspoken and polarizing figure. She says what she wants and means what she says. You don't see many politicians (or their spouses) telling the media exactly what they think of them and their tactics. Yet, Mrs. Heinz-Kerry stands out from the crowd, and I adore her for that!

One thing that the media probably will not tell is the fact that this particular newspaper is a rather conservative publication. (You certainly won't hear that on Fox News!) In addition, the newspaper has perhaps misconstrued the relationships between the Kerry and Heinz families. Let's face it: if someone is dogging you, you'd probably stand up and say more than simply "shove it!" I know that I would! I think I am a calm and patient person--to an extent. Beyond that, I can say or do almost anything. Sure, I'll probably wake up tomorrow and regret it, but at least the world knows where I stand and what I think about a broad laundry list of issues, both personal and public.

In the end, Teresa Heinz-Kerry deserves a pat on the back. She has put in many long and arduous hours, I am sure as she is bussed and flown from one shore of America to the other. Such a personal sacrifice can only be rewarded and adored. I salute her for her ability to contain herself, yet express herself adequately as the moments and situations dictate. 

No comments: