In a country that espouses democracy and individual freedom, I find it appalling that today is the first time in over six months we have seen Saddam Hussein.
Let me tell you why...
Why is the government so afraid of this deposed despot? I believe the situation in Iraq is more precarious than any American living within this country understands. When Slobodan Milosevic was arrested in Serbia for crimes against the people of Yugoslavia, he was not quelled. We heard him speak, we read what he said, we heard from his family, and we heard others share their opinions on the situation. This has not been the case for Saddam Hussein.
Although, I do not prescribe to the government or ideology of Hussein, I believe that every human, despite their situation or history, is entitled to basic human rights and assurances. By keeping this man silent for so long, I believe his rights have been violated. Even though, he is not an American, he was arrested by American soldiers; therefore, I believe he deserves the same rights and privileges that any accused figure in the United States would receive while in American custody.
Of course, since June 28, 2004, the new Iraqi Republic has been forged from the ashes of a fallen nation, like a phoenix. It is illogical to assume that the new government is truly sovereign from their American overlords, namely King George.
Today, we saw Saddam Hussein emerge into an Iraqi courtroom to answer for crimes he committed while the president of a sovereign nation. We must logically ask ourselves, are our leaders accountable for the actions they take while serving in the capacity of president? If so, then we have no choice but to indict George Bush on the counts of misleading our nation into a war based on conjecture and personal revenge; creating a state of conflict with a sovereign nation acting within its own accord; interfering with the basic human rights of a sovereign nation's citizens; and the massacre of thousands of Americans and Iraqis.
Will we ever see such a trial? It is doubtful. Even though, we did see an impeachment and trial for a president who lied about a personal matter! I dare to ask the question: which is more offensive--a president having consensual extramarital relations in the White House or a president who has brought hundreds of Americans home in body bags; furthermore losing their lives for a senseless, selfish cause?
Today, as I saw the pictures of Saddam Hussein, I wondered what it must really be like to be in his position. An individual who went from total power to being totally defenseless. Essentially, a man without a country. Then he said, "I am Saddam Hussein, president of Iraq." That caught me a little off guard when I heard his statement. In all honesty, I think he still is the president of Iraq. He was elected by the people of Iraq. It may or may not have been fraudulent, but who can rely on the CIA or FBI for accurate information these days?
If he still is the president, then what about those that now claim power? I would agree that they illegitimate. They received their power from a conquering power. In the eyes of the Iraqi people and the world they have not been legitimized. It is impossible to say how this will play out in the grand scheme of things. Only time can tell us the eventual conclusion. I dare say, though, that the Iraq issue is far from complete! I just hope that in the end it will have been worth all the sacrifice, deceit, and blood.
No comments:
Post a Comment