Last night as I watched the finale of the Democratic National Convention, I was pleased with the entire outcome of the event. I was happy with John Kerry's inspiring acceptance speech of hope and direction. I was taken by the delegates' energy and engagement.
At the end of the events, however, they were releasing the balloons and confetti from the top of the Fleet Center, when CNN decided to carry the voice of the event's organizer (why I have no clue). It would have been otherwise uneventful if the balloons and confetti operated within the parameters set by the event's coordinators.
The guy speaking in the background was becoming obviously upset by the fact the balloons were not being released as quickly as he had anticipated. At this point, I believe it would have behooved CNN to terminate the live audio feed, but they allowed it to continue uncensored. By this point, he had already said the benign word "hell" (I think). His voice was getting more aggravated, but the live feed continued, until he belted out something along the lines of: What the fuck is going on up there?
At this time, CNN immediately cut the live audio feed. I only heard CNN anchor Judy Woodruff later elude to the fact that some "profanity" might have been used. Oh Judy, yes it had been! I heard it and who knows how many other millions did. Although, the word doesn't personally offend me (I've been known to use it as need arises), I am sure that some fall-out will have to occur as a result! I am thinking back to Janet Jackson and then other nationally televised events. As of now, I haven't heard anything said about it...yet! But I may have missed it earlier today or late last night.
Only time will tell if it is simply ignored or if it balloons (pardon the pun) into something larger. I was afraid that it might overshadow the Democratic National Convention, but they cannot be held responsible for the obvious mistake on CNN's part.
No comments:
Post a Comment