Friday, July 30, 2004

It only happens once in a...blue moon!

On Saturday night, July 31, we will experience a blue moon. I had always heard this phrase and idiom used throughout my life, but I really didn't come to appreciate it's true meaning until a few years back.

It would seem that a blue moon is exactly what it's name implies. An event that happens infrequently and does command a degree of attention. It seems that two full moons in the same month is quite odd. I suppose that this happened this year because of leap-year, but according to the CNN website, it happens every 32 months--so about one in three years. Even though, I think back to the time when we had two in the same year! According to the website, it was in 1999. It's odd that I would remember something so strange!

Maybe I should go get my head examined for remembering such a weird fact, but it could come in use if I'm ever on Jeopardy!

No comments: