Grace and civility have a goddess and her name is Martha Stewart. Few Americans can be called icons, but I believe Martha falls into this category with ease and charm. I have always admired Martha Stewart. She took home ec and made it a thing of elegance and functionality. Her ideas are neo-chic, with a hint of grandma's tradition thrown in the mix.
Martha has suffered a road that many of us can only imagine traveling. I have felt since day one that she has received more criticism and disdain than is necessary for something she was charged and eventually found guilty of doing. Previously, ImClone is a company that 99.9% of Americans had never heard of and could care less about. I, for one, am one of these Americans! Of course, there are worse crimes that one can commit, but the government seems most concerned with those that term a tidy profit for them in the end. Martha, a billionaire in her prime, was targeted for "dumping" a piddly (well it was to her) amount of stock after receiving a so-called inside-tip from her stock broker.
I'll be happy to see this all this hub-bub laid to rest in the media, but no more than Martha will be, I'm sure. I'll be happy to see Martha cooking up delicious cakes in television kitchen, rather than seeing her in a tacky orange jump suit! Nevertheless, I hope to see Martha beat her five month prison sentence on appeal.
Go Martha!
No comments:
Post a Comment