Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sex Drive

For about 1.75 years, I have been taking finasteride to deal with hair loss. Originally, it came in the form of Propecia, at 1mg per day. I took that form for about a year. I experienced hair regrowth, but I was spending about $80/month on it. Then my dermatologist turned me onto Proscar, which dosed at 5mg per day. Although, it is really meant to treat men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), Proscar, unlike Propecia, is available in the generic form of finasteride, and costs $5/month.

It's funny that I would pay $75 for the brand, and only $5 for the actual chemical I need. I didn't need anymore convincing after I found out this simple fact. I was taking an additional 4mg a day of the chemical than needed to limit the dihydrotestosterone (DHT) in my bloodstream from destroying my hair follicles. It has worked marvelously. I have experienced fantastic hair re-growth on the crown of my scalp. The only thing is I never noticed the seeming side-effect, which was decreased libido.

Wednesday, I ran out of finasteride 5mg, and I had a bottle of Propecia 1mg in a drawer, which I had from my previous prescription. I thought that I would just use the remaining bottle of the $80 stuff before refilling my other prescription. It's logical.

Wow! By Thursday morning, let me say, my sex drive had increased 5-times from what it was when I was on the 5mg dose per day. I haven't felt like this in years. It is almost like I am a teenager again dealing with the surges of testosterone in my system. I can literally feel it coursing through my veins! The only thing is I hope it doesn't setback my hair growth. I figure the 1mg pill should be enough to keep it in check, while giving me back my old sexual self. When I refill the 5mg pills, I am going to start cutting them in half, which shouldn't kill all of my testosterone, and allow me to continue my hair growth, at the same time.

No comments: