Monday, July 14, 2008

Budweiser: American tragedy or capitalist free-for-all?

InBev has agreed to acquire Anheuser-Busch for $70/share. In response to this acquisition, websites have popped up decrying the Belgian company's purchase of a seeming American icon.

Instead of crying over the inevitable, I have decided to make some money. I invested heavily in Anheuser-Busch stock (BUD), and I have already reaped the rewards of my investment very rapidly. My philosophy is why whine and complain over what is insignificant (especially with the price of gasoline pushing higher and massive banks on the verge of collapse) when there is money to be made?

Are American beer aficionados really so gullible as to believe that InBev will change the recipe, traditions, and distribution of a multi-billion dollar enterprise? The company has already agreed that the operations of Budweiser will remain the same. I say if it beefs up my portfolio, then it is a good thing.

No comments: