One month from today, the people of Kentucky will go to the primary polls and elect their party's nominee for governor, who will then stand for general election in November, against the opposing party.
The Republican Party candidates are being led by the current governor, Ernie Fletcher, and former United States Representative Anne Northup. I have mixed feelings about who will win this party's primary. Fletcher is the incumbent, yes, but he is wildly unpopular, even in his own party. I have a feeling that Anne Northup may have the momentum to force Fletcher from the Republican ticket. I could be wrong on this one, but I have a strong feeling that I am right. Fletcher made a lot of enemies, in both political parties, when he cut funding to state employees' health insurance, which included teachers (and let's not forget that the Kentucky Education Association [KEA] is the largest, most powerful lobby in the state).
With only a month left, I have decided on my candidate for governor. After careful thought and consideration, I have decided to lend my support to Democratic candidate Stephen L. Henry. Dr. Henry served as lieutenant governor, under Governor Paul E. Patton, for eight years. When I listen to all of the Democratic candidates for governor, he is the one that I admire the most for his ideas and his experience. He speaks genuinely about the issues, because he has served them for so many years now. Also, the Commonwealth of Kentucky is ready for a return to Democratic values and sensibilities, after four years of a botched Republican administration.
No comments:
Post a Comment