Monday, June 07, 2004

Decision, Decisions!

I'm back to the death of a president issue.

John Kerry has decided to offload his "politicking" for the duration of this week due to President Reagan's death. Okay, on the surface this seems like a wonderful thing, with one minor (or is it minor) detail: will King George suspend his campaign or is this just gravy for him?

On the "National Day of Mourning," I don't think that Georgey will calm down his rhetoric. I think this funeral will be nothing more than a pre-Republican Convention with grandiose parades down Constitution Avenue, eulogies, and scripted mourning, does it get anymore devious than this?

I know what you're thinking: wouldn't the Democrats do the same thing if Jimmy or Billy died? Of course! It's foolish to pretend the opposite is true. Americans are dumb. Let me clarify that statement--Yes, you can fool most of the people most of the time! There, I said it! Americans are sometimes like sheep. We forget our vulnerability while we walk over to pat the wolf on the back.

While I think this passing may put a little wind in the Republicans' sails, we mustn't forget the other truth about the American populace--we're a fickle bunch. In a month, we'll have forgotten this week and the reason for it. We'll return our attention to the "real" issues, those of nation building, gross combat casualities and economic turmoil.

Good times!

Now what was the purpose of this blog again? (Exactly!)

No comments: