Any other time such a title would be absurd, but it's not today.
I think the "National Week of Mourning" has become a little absurd itself. We have gone from tens-of-thousands standing in line to pay tribute to a man who struck deals with the communists and negotiated with Iran to printing him on our money. I don't care if he didn't know about these things. It's simple. When you're the boss, then you're responsible for those in your workplace.
(A perfect example is when you're the United States Supreme Court's choice for Commander-in-Chief of the military, you are responsible for the actions of those below you [no matter how small and radical they are].)
Now we've gone from mourning-in-mass to daffy legislators who want to put Ronald Reagan's image on our money. Even our own devious Senator Mitch McConnell would like to see him take the place of the United States first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. I'm surprised they don't want to put him on the dollar bill. I'm sure he is more privileged than the first president of the United States. All George Washington did, after all, was win our independence from a world superpower! But again, that was so long ago.
They would also like to see him take the place of good old President Andy Jackson on the $20. I think I'd rather see Alex go than Andy. I've grown accustomed to his choice in hairstyles. I mean, his untamed locks really make me feel a bit more free to experiment with my own do! How about you? So obviously he can't go.
Then there's Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the dime. This man lifted us up out of the nation's worst financial faux pas in its history, namely the Great Depression. He fought and won World War II, too. He's the only president in the history of the United States to win the presidency four times in a row! (Now I think that deserves some recognition.) And to top it all off, he did all of this while he was in a wheelchair.
Finally, we arrive at the Pentagon. I don't think anyone would really want their name associated with such a secretive institution. When I think of the Pentagon, I picture operatives in dark suits and sunglasses speaking into their cuffs. Even though, that is a false image (or is it) of the Pentagon, I still don't think it's time for it to undergo a name change. But if there is one thing I would mind least being changed, the Pentagon is it.
I just want to look inside my wallet and see "my boys" Alex and Andy looking back at me. That's the way it's always been, and the way it should always remain...or at least until my own slipping "from the surly bonds" of life!
No comments:
Post a Comment