Sunday, June 06, 2004

2004 or 1984?

I'm sure that everyone in the known world is aware of Ronald Reagan's death yesterday. I know when anyone dies they deserve a degree of respect and remembrance. But what gets me is this obsession that we seem to have fallen into in the past twenty-four hours.

I understand that being president is an important job (especially when the president is actually elected). I guess what bugs me is the fact that this man who served two terms as president is now the greatest thing to come along since milk in a yellow jug. Why do we wait until now to acknowledge this seeming grandiosity?

What about 1994? Was he not a great man then? It's actually kind of disgusting for anyone to have to die to hear what a wonderful person they were. I think it would be nice to hear these things while I can still smile and enjoy it. It seems that we value the ability to lavish praise on the dead. If I am great, then tell me while I'm alive; otherwise, shut up!

That is the moral of today's blog.

On a lighter note, after watching all the coverage of this event, I love the flashbacks to the 1980s! God, that was a gaudy time! Just look at all the fashion faux pas for an example of what I mean!

No comments: