My dermatologist recently prescribed a medication, Mirvaso, for the treatment of facial erythema, which is better known as rosacea. I am of northern European ancestry, which means that my skin is quite light and prone to redness around my nose, forehead, and chin. I was very excited when my dermatologist suggested this medication, because my face is never a single color. There are usually red blotches, which range in size.
After my first application of this gel, I was able to see an evenness in my skin tone. The redness was gone and my skin looked smooth as if I were wearing foundation. It was a truly exciting time for me!
Galderma Laboratories, which manufactures Mirvaso, suggests that a pea-size amount be applied to the forehead, nose, each cheek, and the chin. Of course, you work the gel into your skin. My skin quickly absorbed the gel, which I liked.
As I said before, my skin usually exhibits signs of redness, but it's not readily noticeable to other people. I don't have the jolly cheeks of Santa Claus...until now. That's right. The drug, brimonidine, wears off after about ten hours. It's not that my skin simply goes back to the way it was before I applied the medication. Instead, my skin went bright red. In fact, my cheeks looked almost purple! And the unsightliness of my appearance wasn't enough. It literally hurt. My cheeks, especially, felt as if they were on fire. I was at the point where I was applying the gel twice a day to keep the redness and pain under control.
After a week of regular use, I have quit this medication, because of the side effects. Unfortunately, I am still experiencing the side effects. After almost 48 hours of being Mirvaso free, my skin is still prone to breaking out in random, fiery redness. I am using cold compresses and ibuprofen to counteract the effects of the medication. As I write this, my face looks fairly normalized in appearance. My skin has a "just got back from the beach" look to it. Happily, the pain is gone.
I hope that my skin will return to its "old ways" in the next 24 hours. I can handle that!
My suggestion for using Mirvaso is to make sure that you suffer from severe facial erythema. If not, I would not recommend using this medication. It is certainly meant for people who have heavy duty skin redness, and not for casual use.
No comments:
Post a Comment