In its third week of open revolt, the press is speculating that President Hosni Mubarak will resign as president of Egypt at any moment.
The protesters, who have been in Egypt's Tahrir Square for the duration, have seemingly broken the will of the 30-year-old, pro-Western regime. They want reform and freedom. Those are all noble sentiments, but we have found that those sentiments do not play well in the Middle East. (I didn't write their story.) Let's think of Iraq and Afghanistan; even though, those are cases of forced democratic reforms, I concede.
On this auspicious occasion, I am reminded of a line from the movie, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Willy Wonka tells Charlie, "Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he always wanted." In the case of Egypt, instead of living happily ever after, it may have to make do with Islamic sharia law and an Ayatollah.
Good luck Egypt!
No comments:
Post a Comment