Saturday, May 05, 2007

Paris Hilton Raped in Jail, Congress Pushes for Prison Overhaul

With yesterday's revelation for Paris Hilton, who thought it was okay to drive on a suspended license, we will surely be getting some revision of the penal code in California. Perhaps, it will go something along the lines of, "Yes, it is okay to drive on a suspended license and disregard a court order to attend alcohol counseling, if your trust fund exceeds $100 million."

I think it is proactive that the court was willing to stand up to Hilton and her hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars. Honestly, I believed she would receive probation or house arrest, in lieu of actual jail time. It says to everyone else that the law applies equally to all socioeconomic strata.

Of course, we haven't seen her report to prison yet, which is slated to occur until next month. She might believe she didn't actually have to attend the jail sentence. I am sure, also, her lawyers are working overtime to find a loophole, or even better a court of appeal that will be more understanding and forgiving of her transgressions.

No comments: