Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Iraqi Election in the US

This Iraqi election is fabulous, of course; however, I have some qualms about it.

Firstly, why are Iraqis who haven't set foot on Iraqi soil in 20+ years getting a vote in Iraq's parliamentary elections? If I am an American citizen and move to another country and take up residence there, I am no longer eligible to vote in local, state or federal elections. It's simple!

If I move to another part of Kentucky, I am not eligible to change my voter location for a month or participate in any election unless I am willing to travel back to the place where I am registered to vote.

Basically, if I move to Hawaii, then I can't expect to vote in local elections in my home state of Kentucky. So why are we allowing Iraqis who moved from their home country a voice in Iraq's government?

It doesn't make much sense, unless you are trying to influence the vote....oh wait, that's a whole different issue (or is it?).

People need to wake up and get real!

No comments: