Sunday, September 11, 2005

September 11

It's hard to believe that four years ago I was glued to the television. We were subjected to seeing those towers fall over-and-over on all the major networks. We really didn't understand what was happening, or at least I didn't.

Four years ago, I remember my mother waking me around 9-ish to tell me that we were under attack by someone. She said buildings are falling in New York and planes are crashing all over the United States. I remember scrambling out of the bed and turning on the television to see what was happening. For a few days, I supported anything George Bush did (it's funny now, of course); I was scared and confused!

Looking at where we are today, September 11, 2005, I am confused by the whole ordeal. I understand there are terrorists cells around the globe. I understand wealthy people despise us as a nation, our ideals, our beliefs. I understand these people must be dealt with for our own national security, through the partnerships of our allies. I do not understand, however, the war in Iraq. How did we go from nationless terrorist organizations, like al-Queda, to dominating a country such as Iraq.

From 9/11, we have become an imperialist nation. There is no doubt about it. George Bush has said himself that the United States will spread democracy around the globe. The irony of this statement is that democracy is being forced on these people. Democracy is a choice, through elections and policies that allow for a free and just society. Iraq is not a democracy. It will never be a democracy as it exists now. Sure, it may seem "democratic" on the surface with its elections and constitutional conventions, but inside the heart of the nation it still breathes and exists as an Islamic state. Such states cannot co-exist with the principles of democracy.

In short, the legacy of those thousands of Americans who died on this day four years ago is this: terrorism is alive and well! America is an imperial master now. We invade sovereign nations and force change upon them.

This is not legacy I want!

No comments: