I have heard over and over the desolation and desperation in New Orleans. I have heard the horror stories of how people have gone for days now without any food or water. This morning I heard the story of the man who left his hellish motel room to venture out to find food for his child. He arrived at a Dollar General store a little way from the motel. Instead of the police out gathering up decomposing bodies and dealing with the gangs of thugs armed to the teeth, they were there protecting the Dollar General. How sad is that? Sufficed to say, the man got nothing for his starving family except a laceration to his head from the butt of a policeman's gun.
First of all, Dollar General and all those stores are insured to the eyeballs against theft and destruction of their property. So anything stolen or damaged will be replaced. If I owned Dollar General, a supermarket, a local market, or any type of store, I would say to the police, "Let them have it. There's no point guarding things that people need in order to survive. There's no need to cause any more harm and humiliation to these distraught people."
In the end, it will be these horror stories that will last far beyond the wake of Katrina's desolation. People denied life, for profit. That's the saddest story of all!
Think about it!
No comments:
Post a Comment