Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Doctors

When I was younger I had never heard of a physicians assistant or advanced nurse practitioner.

As a consumer in the medical field, I expect to get what I pay for. I am quite verbal about this issue, in and out of the doctor's office. A few years ago I had an experience with an advanced nurse practitioner. I went to the doctor with a bladder infection. It burned when I urinated, yes it was embarrassing, but I was okay with it since I was going to my doctor for treatment.

I waited in the waiting room, then I waited longer in the exam room. The door opened and someone I had never seen came in to talk to me about my bladder, and how it is uncommon for men to get bladder infections. Yes, I am quite uncommon. I was very nice as I asked the million dollar question, "When is the doctor going to come in and see me?" After all, I was paying to see a physician, not a less trained professional. She told me that she would be taking care of me. Then I got a bit brutal.

It hurt to piss, after all.

I said, "I think I'll wait and see the doctor." I was quite sure of my position. "He won't be able to see you today, because he is with other patients," she said. First of all, I called and made an appointment with the doctor, not a prescription-pad-toting Nurse Ratchet. Second, I don't like people telling me what I will do.

By this time, I had my little plastic cup in hand for the urine sample. I calmly explained that I would expect to see the doctor after I filled-up the cup to the line--no less--with my liquid waste. She was pretty certain she would be doing the post-piss diagnosis. By that time I was using words like "insurance fraud." I did, yes, ask if I got a discount by seeing her. The cost was the same. That just didn't set right with me.

(I am a teacher. I am required by law to perform my duties in and out of the classroom, not my teacher's aide. Naturally, it seemed to me that the doctor should be performing his duty to his patients, not his assistant. I don't care how gifted she is with a stethoscope.)

To make a painful story short, the doctor was the one who gave me my diagnosis and wrote the prescription. My self-advocacy as a consumer had won the day! I'm sure, however, my bitchy attitude played a small part in my victory.

As a result, I no longer see that doctor. I feel it is the height of poor manners to expect your patients to accept a substitute when they seek medical care. I now have a doctor who does not even employ physician's assistants or advanced nurse practitioners.

Good for me!

No comments: