Birthers say that Barack Obama was not born in the United States. Personally, I believe he was born in Hawaii, on August 4, 1961, which is clearly after the state's statehood of 1959.
Even though it isn't anything new, there are those who say he wasn't born in the United States. I have heard everything from Indonesia, where he did live for a short time as a young boy; Kenya, where his father was born. I've even heard Iraq.
Let me say, I am not a "birther." I do not buy into the whole conspiracy theory that Barack Obama is an Islamic fundamentalist, who has been planted into the highest echelon of our nation's government to destroy us from within; however, I do not see any reason why a presidential candidate would not produce his/her birth certificate for public scrutiny. It is a constitutional requirement to be a natural born citizen of the United States, after all. It should be on file, for every candidate, with the Federal Election Commission (FEC).
If running for president, would I show you my birth certificate? Yes, without reservation. It shows that I was born in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, which was admitted into statehood in 1792, as the 15th state. (I've got facts.) I do not see the problem with showing the document to quash any question about my constitutional qualifications.
It may not dispel all rumors and innuendo, but it would prove to the intelligent among the electorate that I am who I say I am. The same holds true for Barack Obama.
No comments:
Post a Comment