Wednesday, December 23, 2009

'Tis the time to give

The holiday season is finally upon us. People are maxing out what credit they have left on their credit cards, before they default on their debt in January. Ah, to be an American at Christmas-time. This season I am reminded of that it is better to receive than give. When I go shopping for someone else (hint, hint), I always end up buying an assload of crap for myself, and forgetting who it was I intended to shop for in the first place. (I blame it on the ADHD I diagnosed myself as having.)

It's the season about me!

My family doesn't really do gifts. We eat and spend some time together. I don't really know why, other than it is part of our twisted holiday celebration. I just accept it, and go on with my life. It's not that major.

As a teacher, I am prone to receive gifts from my students. Some of them are sweet and well-planned, while others are spontaneous and tacky. But, in the end, it is the thought that counts, and I love everything I get. This year, I have to share a particular gift I received.

It came in a shiny, red box. It was wrapped in tissue and faux cotton. At first, I thought it was a hat, but then I realized the box was much too small. Then, I thought it may be jewelry. (Yikes.) I was eager to open up the box and feast my eyes upon something well-planned out and thoughtful. My pupils dilated with bated anticipation, no doubt.

Wow! I held my breath for a prolonged time, because I had to engineer a response to what was swaddled there in the green tissue. "Wow!" was all I could think of in that moment. I was overwhelmed by confusion and that nagging voice in the back of my mind asking repeatedly, "What the eff?"

I can fake compliment you all day long. One day, I will be recognized by the Academy for my genuine, heartfelt performances. But, I digress. There in the green tissue was something most unexpected. At first, I felt a bit insulted. But I said, "Thank you." The other students were shocked with curiously confused questions, such as, "What the heck is that?"

Yes, nestled there in the warmth of my then sweating palm was a tube of Chapstick. It wasn't even the flavored kind either. It was the original. I put it back in the box, which cost more than the item it concealed, and set it aside. Today, I came to the realization that this simple tube of 89¢ Chapstick, in its $3.00 box, was the perfect gift. I just put some on (after I carefully inspected to make sure it was indeed fresh and unused). It is the gift that will last far beyond December 25. It is the gift of happy lips.

The moral of the story? Be happy with what you get. But most of all, be prepared for the gift that you never anticipated, because it is coming, and it will blow your mind!

No comments: