Friday, December 25, 2009

How to unfriend during the holidays

The top word of 2009 was "unfriend." It is something that you do on social networking websites, such as Facebook, which I use religiously (pardon the pun). It is when you dump a friend from your network of friends.

I have never unfriended someone before. Well, not until last night, at least. It was in the spirit of the holidays that I set this lone, confused parasite of a person free. You see, she is what I call a hypocritical bigot. I can tolerate many things from my friends, such as ignorance, stupidity, cluelessness, shamelessness, hot-headedness, even incest, but never bigotry!

First, it started with insulting my love of Halloween. Apparently, for some people, it is a time to use Christian fanaticism to crush other people's spirit of fun and laughter, because, let's face it, with an attitude like that, they aren't having any fun at home. Then it progressed into the materialism of Thanksgiving. Blah, blah! (It's pretty bad when you can find fault with Puritans. What a prude!)

The final straw was last night, when she said teaching kids about Santa, which by the way is an anagram for SATAN, is telling your children it is okay to lie. Obviously, if someone asks your kids, "What is Santa bringing you this year for Christmas?" They might as well have cocked a gun against the kid's head and said, "Give me all of your candy canes." 

It's preposterous! 

After last night's unsolicited anecdote, I decided it was time to unfriend this person. To set her free, if you will. I certainly could not listen to her harping on drunkenness in the New Year. My gin-soaked heart really would be broken!

So, Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa!  And Happy Boxing Day, too! Onward, Eid-al-Fitr, and any other Muslim high holy day I may have forgotten. This is to you, the intolerant, the bigoted stew of America's undercurrent of hate and hypocrisy. 

Happy Holidays! (Yes, I do say that, too.) And FYI: when I see your Friend Request on my Facebook page again, I have a new friend, his name is IGNORE.

No comments: