Sunday, May 31, 2009

Migraine

In the past two days, I have experienced events that are consistent with migraine headache.

First of all, let me say I have never had migraines before. Second, they are very unpleasant, frightening, and painful! Third, I want to make sure that I never have another one, or at least minimize my chances.

What are my symptoms?

Yesterday, I experienced a very unsettling episode of impaired vision. It presented very quickly, without any warning. It was around 9:30am, and I experienced what I thought of as "sunspots" in my vision. (I had been outside.) I dismissed it at first, but I noticed that instead of fading, the spots grew larger and more cumbersome to see through. In fact, I had lost part of my peripheral vision in my right eye. My next symptom was the onset of pain in my upper-left forehead region. It was very painful and localized. It responded to changes in movement, light, and sound. Fortunately, my vision began to return to normal, but the headache remained. Oh yes, the last symptom: My right arm, including fingertips, tongue and the right side of my mouth went numb. This, coupled with the vision impairment, made me believe I may be experiencing a stroke. The numbness subsided in about ten minutes, with the typical "pins-and-needles" sensation following a loss of sensation in the extremities.

Today, I experienced the same symptoms, in the same order, but the vision impairment, or aura, was much more severe. The headache has only recently subsided. I had to take Advil and lay down for a while. I feel better, but not completely well. I still have dread and confusion on my mind.

The only single event that I can think of as perhaps being a catalyst to these headaches is the sun. Both attacks presented after being outside, in direct sunlight, for a short period of time. Hopefully, this will pass with no further complications!

I feel completely sympathetic toward people who suffer from this malady on a frequent basis. It is very unnerving.

No comments: