Upon the nomination of Senator Hillary Clinton as secretary of state attention has turned to her replacement in the upper-house of Congress.
One name to be circulated is President Bill Clinton. Although, I believe his appointment by the governor of New York is a long-shot, it does have precedent. Former presidents are not barred from public service, except in the Executive Branch if they are a two-termer like President Clinton. John Quincy Adams served Massachusetts in the U.S. House of Representatives until his death. Also, William Howard Taft went on to become the chief justice of the Supreme Court.
Will it happen? I do not think he would accept a position in the United States Senate. It just doesn't seem like his style.
I've often wondered what would be the constitutional ramifications, if any, of a president who nominates himself/herself to a lifetime position on the Supreme Court of the United States. It would be a nice job to retire into from the presidency. I do not think the Constitution bars such a move. For example, I am the president and I am entering my waning days, like George W. Bush is now, and a vacancy becomes available on the Supreme Court. I could nominate myself (via the president's duties in the Constitution) and be confirmed by the Senate after my term as president has concluded (or resign if the confirmation is before January 20).
Something to consider. I'd do it!
No comments:
Post a Comment