Today, Bush is trying to pressure Syria to stop backing Hezbollah. Now what's wrong with that you might ask? Instead of Bush bringing Israel, Hezbollah, Hamas, etc., to the table to negotiate their differences, he is playing favorites. Now, I've never been president of the United States, I'm not an ambassador, but I have enough sense to know that you can't pressure one side to stand down while the other side is blowing up jack.
As a good faith movement, the United States should ask Israel to implement a 48 hour cease fire in Lebanon, and then ask Hezbollah, through Syria, for the same. There, you have an even-handed approach to a situation that is quickly growing out of control. Both sides are being asked to do exactly the same thing. No side is being singled out as the bad guy. Then during that 48 hours you work like mad, openly with both sides, to create a long term cease fire, while creating a proactive dialogue for both sides. That people is what you call coming to the table! It's not George Bush in Russia telling Syria what it will do. I'm sorry, but that doesn't work. Did it work in Iraq? I don't think so! But here Bush is again trying to tell another country what to do. When are we going to impeach this asshole exactly?
I am in agreement with the prime minister of Lebanon; the escalation of hostilities is disproportionate with the abduction of Israeli soldiers. Instead of attacking Lebanon, perhaps Israel should have offered them economic incentives to implement military programs to root out Hezbollah from Lebanon's southern border. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, Mr. Bush!
No comments:
Post a Comment