Okay, I've heard about this terror plot these evil Iraqis have hatched against the innocent, benevolent United States. Now at first glance, I see that things are alright. The NYPD is in charge of this situation; however, I am reminded of the news conference last week regarding this situation, and something bugs me about it.
First, all the media outlets, like CNN, were trying to get the inside scoop on what was going on. The one thing I heard mentioned over and over was the fact no one seemed to be in charge of the situation. Sometimes authorities were confused if anything was going on at all and then others were clueless about who should be speaking to the media. That tells me a lot about the chain-of-command: there is none! Each federal agency and state agency are still essentially independent.
After 9/11, we are supposed to be so prepared for the worst. Well, Katrina, a hurricane that we had on our radars for days, couldn't adequately be planned for properly. Now how can we plan for something that we can't see? Honestly.
We would be living in a fool's paradise if we believe that terrorism is gone from our country forever; it isn't. I have no doubt that somewhere, someday they will get to strike us again. It is simply a waiting game. And sadly, when that day comes, we will be in the same boat we were in on September 11, 2001. All the different government agencies running around like chickens with their heads chopped off!
Of course, as a liberal, I don't say this much, but if you truly want to be effective in administering catastrophes you must downsize! Instead of adding a government agency, you needed to subtract one and consolidate its assets and write-off its liabilities. CONSOLIDATE! That's the key word!
The more people you add to the mix, the more confusion and shit you get. Sure, it may sound big and bad--Department of Homeland Security--but it has about as much authority as I would in a forest of wild gorillas. You have to hit your enemy hard and fast, and our enemy was never Iraq, which is precisely where King George's mind is focused.
Who elected that quack anyhow?! It wasn't me! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment