Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Strange Dream

Unlike Freud and Jung, I give little credence to the validity of dreams outside of the realm of sleep.

But last night gave me pause to reflect on what dreams may really mean, in terms of the body communicating with the mind.

My dream consisted of being a student. I was working on a worksheet. Strangely, I was the teacher and also the student. Someone said that the worksheet was very hard, so I decided to sit down and work out the answers myself.

While the majority of the worksheet was incredibly easy, I was baffled by a particular word. The word that I kept seeing and saying to myself was syncope.

Strangely, syncope is a medical term. I knew that in my dream; however, I couldn't relate it to the history worksheet that I was completing. I scanned through the chapter in the textbook that the worksheet covered. I could read the other words, but no sign of syncope. Being a dutiful student, I turned to the glossary. No help there. Then I turned to the index, feeling more anxious and confused. Still, there was no help.

I knocked the book off of the table where I was working. I wrote down, it deals with the heart and fainting.

Ironically, the feelings that I had in the dream were signs of syncope!

What does it mean? Was my dream attempting to tell me about something going on in my body? Is it a foreboding message?

Merry Christmas to me!

No comments: