Conservatives are crying their eyes out today after the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare's primary mandate stating each American must have health insurance by 2014 or face a tax. The highlight was that seemingly conservative Chief Justice John Roberts joined the liberal majority (5-4) in upholding the most polarizing portion of Obama's legislation; he even crafted its opinion!
Now, I cannot confess to have any love lost on Chief Justice Roberts. He is a George W. Bush appointee, after all, who came with high conservative backing during his nomination and confirmation to the Court. I thought Republicans were surely going to win a victory in the healthcare reform battle, with people like Roberts sitting on the bench, but boy was I (and many other people) wrong. Even CNN and Fox News incorrectly reported that the mandate had been overturned this morning.
It just goes to show that sometimes a Bush appointee can join with Clinton and Obama appointees when the stakes for our nation are highest.
No comments:
Post a Comment