Forget the "Manchurian Candidate," at one time a Mexican Republican was running for president!
A lot has been made of Barack Obama's birth certificate. Birthers run this issue into the ground in the 2008 presidential election, and of course, since it is a new election cycle, they are coming out of the wood-work and insane asylums again to discredit the president. The only thing is that former Michigan governor, Jorge, I mean George Romney, who was the father of Mitt Romney, was born in Chihuahua, Mexico. It gets better. George Romney was a candidate for the 1968 Republican nomination. What could be more precious?
Now, I suppose 1968 was a gentler time for politics (NOT!). People didn't ask for piddly things, like birth certificates back then. (What Republican would let the Constitution get in their way, after all?) The only time I have ever heard of someone being required to produce a birth certificate was when a black man decided to run for the highest office in the land.
In the end, I suppose it is best that Jorge Romney lost the Republican nomination to "Tricky Dick" Nixon! It kept the process honest. (Ha! Ha!)
No comments:
Post a Comment