Monday, October 05, 2009

Death Penalty in Ohio

The governor of Ohio, who granted a temporary reprieve for a man sentenced to die by lethal injection, has made me think of my own first actions as future governor of Kentucky. I would enter an order ending all capital punishment in the state.

***
I, Jackson Leslie Ingersoll, Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, extend greetings;
Whereas, pursuant to Section 77 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Kentucky do hereby enact the following order;
Whereas, as Governor of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, acting pursuant to aforementioned, declare all persons previously sentenced to capital punishment by a Court of the Commonwealth of Kentucky have said sentence commuted to life imprisonment;
Further, all persons convicted and sentenced for a capital offense by a Court of Law, during the course of the term of this order, shall have their sentence commuted to life imprisonment;
Whereas, I cause my name and the Great Seal of the Commonwealth of Kentucky to be affixed on this fifth day of October, 2009.
/s/
###

No comments: