Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Harvard Professor Arrest Debacle

Recently, an African-American Harvard professor, Henry Louis Gates, Jr., was arrested for allegedly breaking into his own home (yeah, I know the report says "disorderly conduct").

First, a neighbor calls and tells the police that someone may be breaking into the house (they must not have been close neighbors, if he wasn't recognized). The police arrive and interrogate the owner, who then gets "loud and tumultuous in a public space," according to the police report. How exactly does one's home constitute a public space? I'm pretty sure I can rant and rave all I want in the comfort of my home, including my front yard, which is private domain. It is a growing trend that many law enforcement entities believe they can invade our privacy without recourse. FYI, George W. Bush isn't president anymore guys.

I'd say that the Cambridge Police Department is going to be smacking some hands this week over this now nation-wide--and I dare say world-wide--event! But it's only right.

No comments: