I watched a small portion of the Alito hearings held by the Senate Judicial Committee. I was never surprised by anything the man said. He answered each question with the stealth of a politician; he never answered any question at all. I did notice, however, with some questions he becomes agitated. He had obviously been taught a defense mechanism to deal with his frustration and not outwardly show his anger. Several times he would almost be rubbing his thumbs together. He also would allow his hand to slam down against the table as he testified. This wasn't an occurrence that happened always. It only seemed to happen when Democrats questioned him.
Mostly, from his previous writings, he is a bigot who sees the world through an ultra-conservative agenda. He was the member of a Princeton club that advocated against the admittance of minorities and women to the ivy league school. Conveniently, he seemed to have "forgotten" he was ever a member of such a club, even though he listed it on a 1985 application for a job in the Reagan Administration. I find it a bit hard to swallow and highly suspicious.
We certainly do not need him on the bench of the Supreme Court of the United States. His record is clear...conservative. I have a filibuster in the back of my mind. So we can hope, at least.
I agree with what Senator Joe Biden of Delaware said regarding the hearings held by the Senate Judicial Committee on prospective federal judges. We simply should eliminate the process. They do not answer questions in a black and white manner. They always lean toward the middle. The Senate should simply vote on the record of the individual and dispense with the grand-standing and back slapping. It's the simple.
No comments:
Post a Comment